Wednesday 21 July 2010

UK’s motor vanity fair (17) [Bâlciul deşertăciunilor cu motor din UK]

Any two-seat car is more of an instrument of having fun than a proper means of transport, and there’s no doubt that these MG cars make no exception.

Since 1924, the Brits could buy these automobiles for showing-off, and driving them would have probably meant “I may not be rich, but I can certainly afford it, I’ve got no worries, I am free, I’m Brit, so get out of my way!” :-)

I don’t know of any such ‘official motto’; I just imagined it, seeing how these cars appeared to be screaming “look at me”, especially while I was walking on the streets of Edinburgh.

Obviously, I did look at them, but didn’t find them neither useful (bigger that a Smart car or even a VW Beetle, therefore not saving too much parking space), nor particulary beautiful (feel free to disagree!), as I think Minis are (see here & here).

They didn’t seem as ugly as the creations of Saab Automobile, yet the later models surely lack personality compared to the ones from the 1920s to the early 1950s.

The good news from the company was that, after leaving BMW’s portofolio, it was brought back to life by a Chinese firm. In China, the old name (MG = Morris Garages) wouldn’t have meant anything, so they turned it into MG = Modern Gentlemen.

[For all the episodes of this series, and all the posts on this blog go to/Pentru toate episoadele din această serie şi toate postările de pe acest blog mergi la: Contents/Cuprins]

2 comments:

Gregor said...

“I may not be rich, but I can certainly afford it, I’ve got no worries, I am free, I’m Brit, so get out of my way!” :-)

I can hardly see well enough to drive Bogdan, but if I read that as an advertising slogan, I'd be severely tempted ;-)

MunteanUK said...

@ Gregor

I see... as long as even you feel 'attracted' by such a slogan, this explains MG's success - at least for some decades, before being rescued, first by BMW, then by the Chinese.

I made up the slogan, but this is what I 'felt' their cars were telling to passers-by :-)